Type of contract: Casual
Salary: £7.83 per hour (flexible work hours)
Dates: 7-11 November
Deadline to apply: 21 September
The BAFTA-Qualifying Aesthetica Short Film Festival (ASFF) is an international film festival which takes place annually in York, UK, at the beginning of November. The festival is a celebration of independent short film from around the world, and an outlet for supporting and championing short filmmaking. One of the UK's most exciting site-specific events, ASFF showcases over 400 international films from emerging and established filmmakers in various venues across the city of York. The event, which lasts five days, attracts thousands of entries each year and is now in its seventh edition.
The position is part time/casual - and perfect for people looking to supplement their current income, or recent graduates looking for part-time casual work.
Checking and inspecting tickets
Seating and advising delegates
Directing and supporting delegates attending the event
General crowd monitoring and observation
Other customer service based duties
The ideal candidate will be over 18 years of age - be smart, professional and approachable and ideally have experience in events and customer focused environment and have strong communication skills. Previous event experience is essential.
Full training will be provided.
Please apply with a cover letter and CV here:
IT & Digital Sector
Development Specialist and Senior Development Specialist
(remuneration subject to skills and experience in the software industry)
We are in search of talented and enthusiastic Computer Science/Software Engineering experts who are looking for either their first step into the software development industry, or to progress to a Senior level within the industry. With a real passion and clear aptitude for programming and modern programming principles, in languages such as Java, you will have the opportunity to work on live commercial projects with our impressive Higher Education client list. You will be organised, tenacious and capable of meeting or exceeding deadlines. With good communication skills and attention to detail, your time management will be second to none. Very good oral and written English are essential at all times.
About The Company
SkillsForge is a growing and ambitious company delivering a software as a service solution into Higher Education Institutions (HEIs) across the UK (with plans to expand internationally). Having operated within the University of York for over 12 years SkillsForge spun out as a commercial entity on 1st August 2015. Our team has, so far, been sourced exclusively from previous University of York students.
Recent client wins, a vibrant sales pipeline and an enviable list of existing clients means we need to expand our team with high quality people – SkillsForge is rapidly becoming a leading software as a service supplier to HEIs across the UK. We are based on the University of York campus within the Electronics department.
We follow agile development practices, including scrum, code review and automated testing. We are always interested in adopting new technologies and methods to improve our processes.
You will work on several different client projects at any one time. We are looking for the following skills:
• Excellent coding, solving application defects and critical thinking skills
• Ability to find simple solutions to complex problems
• Good communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to organise yourself well and focus on the task at hand managing interruptions considerately and effectively
• Good time management with the ability to “go the extra yard”
Any candidate must be eligible to work in the UK
Essential technical expertise
• Demonstrable ability create modern, responsive, accessible and interactive websites
• Demonstrable ability at using Java, or if no prior experience of Java then two other programming languages of the candidate’s choice and experience with object oriented programming
• Ability to write code which is clear and straightforward to understand
Desirable technical expertise
• Demonstrable interest in creating user interfaces
• Interest in the latest web UI technologies and experience in thinking about and improving the user experience (UX) aspect of a software product
• Experience with using Model-View-Controller or Model-View-Presenter or similar software design patterns
You will work directly with the technical team on a variety of projects. Some examples of these include:
• Working independently or closely with the team to develop new code, or to troubleshoot and diagnose application bugs/breaks, performance and data anomalies
• Handling multiple concurrent issues and ensure they are responded to and resolved within SLAs (Service Level Agreements)
• Performing good quality code changes to applications, databases or configuration that meet requirements within agreed timescales
• Communicating regular updates to the team clearly and promptly
• Being pro-active in identifying and resolving issues
This is a full time role. Office hours are 09:00 to 17:30 with semi-flexible/home working available. You may occasionally be required to work out of hours to complete development releases, but this is not a regular occurrence.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and covering letter detailing why you should work for SkillsForge to Jonathan.Carr@york.ac.uk (copying in firstname.lastname@example.org) quoting reference: DEVSPEC1. If you cannot email, post your CV to the Jonathan Carr, SkillsForge, Electronics Department, University of York, York, North Yorkshire.